Kathy
wendy1971
jojobda
janey
rebeccaleanne
Dexteroid
14 posters

Go down

WORRIED!!! Puppy staffy bowed front legs Empty WORRIED!!! Puppy staffy bowed front legs

Post by Dexteroid Fri Mar 08 2013, 22:20

Hi all,
My new approx 8 week old rescue staffy Dexter,( which we've had for a week ) was very under nourished and a very thin coat when ceased seems to be developing a serious front bow leg problem, he has been checked by the vet when he had his 1st jab and the vet said " keep an eye on them and we'll see how it goes" , how ever the problem is getting worse,and is extremely bad towards the end of the day to the point where he is limping, when rested for a while it seems to staighten out( the morning sometimes un detectable )he is generally of good nature and it doesn't seem to bother/hurt him........WORRIED ,ANY ADVICE PLEASE.......

Dexteroid
New Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Support total : 3

Back to top Go down

WORRIED!!! Puppy staffy bowed front legs Empty Re: WORRIED!!! Puppy staffy bowed front legs

Post by rebeccaleanne Fri Mar 08 2013, 22:24

gosh, if this was me i would be back to the vets no other option Sad this must be very worrying for you!

so sorry but welcome and please keep us updated
rebeccaleanne
rebeccaleanne
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : In a relationship
Dogs Name(s) : Tyke
Dog(s) Ages : 4
Dog Gender(s) : male
Support total : 293

Back to top Go down

WORRIED!!! Puppy staffy bowed front legs Empty Re: WORRIED!!! Puppy staffy bowed front legs

Post by janey Fri Mar 08 2013, 22:26

Hiya and welcome. Not something I have come across, can the vet tell you a little more?

Young pup, what sort of exersize do you do? A little more info may help Xx
janey
janey

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Moo
Dog(s) Ages : 5ish
Dog Gender(s) : Girly
Support total : 4824

Back to top Go down

Post by janey Fri Mar 08 2013, 22:26

Hi & WORRIED!!! Puppy staffy bowed front legs Welcome

Welcome to the staffordshire bull terrier niceboard. We are pleased you have decided to join us, and hope you enjoy your stay. We hope to see plenty of pictures of your staffordshire bull terriers or any other breed you may have in your household Smile

If you would like to enter your dog(s), puppy(s) or another pet(s) you may have into our Monthly Competition, voting starts on the 20th of every month, if you are lucky your dog maybe placed on our Hall Of Fame page on our website.

Just one last thing before you look around could you please just have a quick look At This Poll, we would love to know how you found us.

Here are some links that will get you started with the website:-

WORRIED!!! Puppy staffy bowed front legs Icon_arrow Please read the Forum Rules before you start posting.
WORRIED!!! Puppy staffy bowed front legs Icon_arrow Here are a List of Tutorial & FAQs that will help you around the forum.
WORRIED!!! Puppy staffy bowed front legs Icon_arrow You can ask for Help here if you are having trouble doing something on the forum.
WORRIED!!! Puppy staffy bowed front legs Icon_arrow How to update your Profile information
WORRIED!!! Puppy staffy bowed front legs Icon_arrow If you have any ideas to improve the forum please let us know Your Feedback Here.
WORRIED!!! Puppy staffy bowed front legs Icon_arrow We have a Website with alot of information if you would like to view it.
WORRIED!!! Puppy staffy bowed front legs Icon_arrow Make a Donation to help us to keep improving our forum and website.
janey
janey

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Mar 08 2013, 22:27

Welcome to the forum!

I'm sorry you have had difficulties. I believe it is called knuckling, and it gets better over time but I think you can get help with it.

Some of our other members will know a bit more on this condition.

Back to top Go down

Post by Dexteroid Fri Mar 08 2013, 22:39

Hi all,
Dexter's exercise consists of play time with toys and the run of house down stairs, his "condition" does resemble the highly publicised "knuckling" case in the sun newspaper recently, we're feeding him iams small puppy and he is gaining weight at a reasonable pace....!!!!!

Dexteroid

Status Status :

Back to top Go down

Post by janey Fri Mar 08 2013, 22:41

Have you had any x-rays done? Xx
janey
janey

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Dexteroid Fri Mar 08 2013, 22:46

The vet had a good manual check and told us no point in doing an X-ray since they wouldnt do anything at this stage, the vet said the problem may just correct itself naturally

Dexteroid

Status Status :

Back to top Go down

Post by janey Fri Mar 08 2013, 22:55

I can get common knowledge off Google, not something I have ever experienced, what do you feed as it can help, but from reading it seems a problem that you manage, cope with. Not a be all and end all Xx
janey
janey

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Mar 08 2013, 22:57

Dexteroid wrote:The vet had a good manual check and told us no point in doing an X-ray since they wouldnt do anything at this stage, the vet said the problem may just correct itself naturally

One of our members has a pup called Alfie who experienced knuckling and it did improve over a bit of time. However, if it will make you feel better don't be afraid to ask another vets opinion Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Mar 08 2013, 23:01

Here's Alfie's story and things worked out well for him Smile

https://staffy-bull-terrier.niceboard.com/t30696-front-leg-worry

Back to top Go down

Post by Dexteroid Fri Mar 08 2013, 23:14

Thanks mat
Read Alfie's story and it sounds very similar to dexter
Dexter had his health check on tuesday just gone and his legs were looked over then ,the mrs has booked him in again on sunday coming because it's getting worse is vet visit going tobe of any use

Dexteroid

Status Status :

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Mar 08 2013, 23:23

Well if you feel that you haven't got enough support go to another vet and ask their opinion.

I had a dog before Logan and she became sick and I had no idea why, the vet I was with just said put her to sleep. But she was otherwise very healthy so I went to another vet and they worked out she was diabetic and she could live a happy life if we managed it. She lived for another 2-3 years before passing at the age of 14-15(ish).

Alfie's owner Iain was given tablets to give him and they seemed to work. So when you are speaking to them mention would there be anything you could give to help.

If it is knuckling which it seems it might be it will be easily solved

Keep us updated on it. Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Dexteroid Fri Mar 08 2013, 23:31

Thanks for all your imput

Cheers
Richard

Dexteroid

Status Status :

Back to top Go down

Post by jojobda Fri Mar 08 2013, 23:50

Hey Dexterous, welcome from me and Marley. I hope he gets better, keep us posted. This forum is full if great help and support. Your in the right place.
jojobda
jojobda
"Top Rank" Staffy-bull-terrier Member
WORRIED!!! Puppy staffy bowed front legs Top_ra10

Status Status :

Male
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Marley
Dog(s) Ages : Oct. 16 2012
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 40

https://www.facebook.com/jordan.trott.754

Back to top Go down

Post by jojobda Fri Mar 08 2013, 23:51

Dexteroid - android typo, apologies
jojobda
jojobda

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Marley
Dog(s) Ages : Oct. 16 2012
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 40

https://www.facebook.com/jordan.trott.754

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Mar 09 2013, 03:51

Welcome Big Grin sorry I can't be of any help, but sounds like you've been given some good advice, so I hope his condition does improve Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Mar 09 2013, 03:53

Hi and welcome from us and Suki

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Mar 09 2013, 04:01

Hi and welcome from Me n Steffi Smile Sorry I can't offer any more advice..

Back to top Go down

Post by wendy1971 Sat Mar 09 2013, 06:48

welcome to the forum and well done for giving a loving home to your dog keep us posted Smile
wendy1971
wendy1971

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : miley and dylan
Dog(s) Ages : 2 and 2 and a half
Support total : 69

Back to top Go down

Post by Dexteroid Sat Mar 09 2013, 06:54

Hi all,
Can anybody give me an exact weight of food I should be feeding dexter and break down ie how much , how many times daily as I've had conflicting advice , I want to rule out the idea of over nourishment , to fast weight gain putting his undeveloped legs under pressure

Dexteroid

Status Status :

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Mar 09 2013, 09:47

Hello and welcome to the forum from me and the kids Big Grin

Only thing I can say is if you're not happy then go to another Vet Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Mar 09 2013, 09:52

Dexteroid wrote:Hi all,
Can anybody give me an exact weight of food I should be feeding dexter and break down ie how much , how many times daily as I've had conflicting advice , I want to rule out the idea of over nourishment , to fast weight gain putting his undeveloped legs under pressure

The feeding is really down to the food you are giving him and following the guidelines , what are you feeding him at the moment ??

At his age he should really be on 4 meals a day , make one some scrambled egg (make it up with goats milk not normal milk) and the rest can be kibble , (Or raw if you want to go down that route) but Tommy , on the advice of the breeder we fed a 2nd meal of mince from PAH (think its called Prize choice , can't remember exactly) , 12 weeks you can think of reducing to 3 meals a day . Tommy certainly didn't suffer on this advice Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Kathy Sat Mar 09 2013, 11:26

Hi and welcome to the forum from Rocky and me.

See if you can ask the vet about some physio for the problem with the legs.
Kathy
Kathy

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Rocky
Dog(s) Ages : 5 Years Old
Dog Gender(s) : Male & a bit of a tart
Support total : 4006

Back to top Go down

Post by dave g Sat Mar 09 2013, 16:35

welcome Big Grin
dave g
dave g

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : bauer and pilot
Dog Gender(s) : both male
Support total : 193

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Mar 09 2013, 17:24

hi from me and the boys

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Mar 09 2013, 18:04

Hello and welcome! As others mentioned it could be knuckling; but as you said that he was very under nourished it could be to do with something else. However, not to worry if it is as if you catch it early the problems and deformations in the bones will sort themselves out with correct diet and nutrient supplements you can get. If you don't catch it early enough the dog will have to undergo surgery to fix them.

Two of these are called Rickets and Metabolic Bone Disease: these are pretty similar as they're both basically due to a lack of vitamin D, the wrong calcium to phosphorous ratio in their body and only in Metabolic Bone Disease - a lack of magnesium. Symptom of these both cause bowing of legs, displaced hips and weak and discolored teeth; as well as blood in urine and bleeding from the mouth. I don't really think it's those, but that might give you something to think about. The vets can do checks and x-rays for all of these too Smile

As you can guess I'm not a vet or anything but I leant a lot about nutritional factors that can effect a dogs health and welfare and that's just a few I can remember! A few other things could be that the ligaments in the pups foot haven't properly developed yet, or developed to fast which would cause the leg to bow! These will be fine as they get older with the right treatment so don't worry Smile

Congrats on your rescue pup though, I'm sure you'll have a lovely life together Big Grin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Mar 09 2013, 18:38

Congrats on the rescue. Hello & welcome from us :-)

Back to top Go down

Post by stella Sat Mar 09 2013, 18:54

hia from me and sasha,i hope he improves soon Smile
stella
stella
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Admin

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : sasha
Dog(s) Ages : 15years RIP
Dog Gender(s) : female
Support total : 1747

Back to top Go down

Post by spike123 Sun Mar 10 2013, 07:37

welcome from myself and spike and i hope it all works out for you Smile
spike123
spike123
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Donator
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Donator

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Spike
Dog(s) Ages : 3
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 28

Back to top Go down

Post by Steve Fri Mar 15 2013, 12:35

Hi & welcome to the forum Smile

Steve

Status Status :

Male
Support total : 1443

https://staffy-bull-terrier.niceboard.com

Back to top Go down

Post by VikkiGT4 Tue Mar 19 2013, 15:29

Hi and welcome to the forum from me and the zoo Smile xx
VikkiGT4
VikkiGT4
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Support Member
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Support Member

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Engaged
Dogs Name(s) : Knox (RIP baby boy <3)
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 234

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Mar 20 2013, 20:55

Hi & welcome to the forum >Big Grin<

Back to top Go down

WORRIED!!! Puppy staffy bowed front legs Empty Worried Staffy Owner

Post by StaffySanFran2018 Tue Dec 11 2018, 05:44

Hi
Having read these messages, they sound very familar to what we have been experiencing, so I wanted to see if you had any advice. We have an 9 week old staffy puppy, who has just started showing signs of bowing/knuckling in his right foot. We think its due to the fact that we have slippery wooden floors at home. So we have now put down mats/rug for him to have more traction on. But we are still a little worried as he hobbles a bit. We visited the vets and they have said they want to do some neurological tests. They didnt seem very familiar with Staffy's or knuckling- so i wanted to ask this groups advice. What can we do to help Bentley recover from his knuckling? Do you know if we should be exercising him- or just limiting him to the house? Thanks so much for any advice you have.

StaffySanFran2018

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Bentley
Dog(s) Ages : 9 weeks
Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Dec 11 2018, 08:11

Hi and welcome to the forum! Do pop over to the introductions section if you have a moment Smile

Have you got another vet you could go to for a second opinion? I would say it does sound like you need a vet to advise you but you also need a vet whose opinion you trust.

At 9 weeks he'll not have had his full vaccinations so you probably shouldn't be exercising him out anyway, so just at home and in the garden is fine.

Back to top Go down

Post by StaffySanFran2018 Tue Dec 11 2018, 16:46

Thank you Liz, I appreciate your feedback

StaffySanFran2018

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Bentley
Dog(s) Ages : 9 weeks
Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

Post by -Ian- Sun Dec 16 2018, 20:42

Hi & Welcome to the Forum from Flo and me Big Grin

When you say “knuckling” I assume you mean the top of the paw bent under? If that’s the case then vets should check the reaction time to right the paw. If it’s slow it could indicate a spinal problem, not always as bad as it sounds and most often very treatable.

Let us know how you get on.

Staffy-Bull-Terrier Online Community
Meet the forum staff - Who's Who
Please read the forum rules - Click Here.

WORRIED!!! Puppy staffy bowed front legs B110
-Ian-
-Ian-

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Anything, she's Deaf !
Dog(s) Ages : RIP Flo
Dog Gender(s) : Girl
Support total : 2862

Back to top Go down

Post by gillybrent Mon Dec 17 2018, 12:34

Knuckling can also just be a matter of week pasterns, which will tighten as the pup grows. It happens a lot in heavy breeds & bull breeds.

However, a word with the vet would be useful to rule out any neurological problems.

gillybrent

Status Status :

Female
Support total : 456

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down