I think Caley is sligtly overweight

2 posters

Go down

I think Caley is sligtly overweight Empty I think Caley is sligtly overweight

Post by debtom Thu Mar 21 2013, 11:29

Caley is 1 in two weeks time and my OH took her to vets to be weighed and get her regular worming tablets. OMG the little chunky monkey weighs 19kg Surprised ...is that not way too heavy. I thought recently she is looking a little porky. She gets two good walks a day and at weekends gets a good run around at the forest, beach or field, come the warmer weather she will be able to go to the local field during the week - its a bit of a bog at the moment lol.

We can feel her last rib and only just barely see it. I know we are a bit friendly with the food we give her and she can be a bit spoilt with treats, so we are planning on cutting back a bit, but I wonder what her weight should be at this age, she also still has alot of loose skin to grow into.
debtom
debtom
"Top Rank" Staffy-bull-terrier Member
I think Caley is sligtly overweight Top_ra10

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Caley
Dog(s) Ages : Born 2 April 2012
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 18

Back to top Go down

I think Caley is sligtly overweight Empty Re: I think Caley is sligtly overweight

Post by Guest Thu Mar 21 2013, 11:36

Don't get hung up on 'weight'. Take a good look at her - if you think she needs to shed a couple of pounds then either decrease her food a little or increase her exercise.

Back to top Go down

I think Caley is sligtly overweight Empty Re: I think Caley is sligtly overweight

Post by debtom Thu Mar 21 2013, 11:40

Thanks Caryll, my OH said the same thing. We will definitely decrease what she has a bit, we also realised that we were still giving the same quantity of adult food that we were giving when she was on the puppy food, never realised this decreased as well once on the adult food.

We have already increased her walks a couple of weeks ago, so hopefully doing both will get her back on track.
debtom
debtom
"Top Rank" Staffy-bull-terrier Member
I think Caley is sligtly overweight Top_ra10

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Caley
Dog(s) Ages : Born 2 April 2012
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 18

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Mar 21 2013, 11:49

Alot of times cutting down on the treats will work as well or switching to a low calorie alternative like veggies

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Mar 21 2013, 11:52

Yea don't worry too much about weight unless she is obviously over weight. She is still very young and burns up calories easily anyway.

I add vegetables to every one of Logan's meals to bulk it up without adding calories. He loves them too Big Grin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Mar 21 2013, 12:32

I wouldn't worry about the actual weight, because their sizes are all different, but if you think she looks overweight, just increase the food slightly. Being a tiny bit overweight isn't going to harm her so it's no big deal to just decrease the food a bit Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by janey Thu Mar 21 2013, 16:31

Moo is 23kg, don't worry, muscle weighs more than fat anyway so if she is happy and healthy then your doing a grand job Smile
janey
janey
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Moo
Dog(s) Ages : 5ish
Dog Gender(s) : Girly
Support total : 4824

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down