youngkaiser
Hollie C
HazelJ
janey
Steve
19 posters

Go down

How does your dog react to fireworks?

How does your dog react to fireworks? Pbucket4%How does your dog react to fireworks? Pbucket 4% 
[ 2 ]
How does your dog react to fireworks? Pbucket22%How does your dog react to fireworks? Pbucket 22% 
[ 10 ]
How does your dog react to fireworks? Pbucket2%How does your dog react to fireworks? Pbucket 2% 
[ 1 ]
How does your dog react to fireworks? Pbucket17%How does your dog react to fireworks? Pbucket 17% 
[ 8 ]
How does your dog react to fireworks? Pbucket54%How does your dog react to fireworks? Pbucket 54% 
[ 25 ]

Total Votes : 46

How does your dog react to fireworks? Empty How does your dog react to fireworks?

Post by Steve Tue Sep 21 2010, 23:14

I took my dogs out today and there some idiot that was setting some fireworks off, i was just wondering how does your dof reat to them.

Steve
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Male
Support total : 1443

https://staffy-bull-terrier.niceboard.com

Back to top Go down

How does your dog react to fireworks? Empty Re: How does your dog react to fireworks?

Post by janey Wed Sep 22 2010, 09:16

My first Staffie wasn't really bothered, and my second hasn't heard any since I've had her so will let you no the answer to that in time!!
janey
janey

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Moo
Dog(s) Ages : 5ish
Dog Gender(s) : Girly
Support total : 4824

Back to top Go down

How does your dog react to fireworks? Empty Re: How does your dog react to fireworks?

Post by Guest Wed Sep 22 2010, 10:04

My last Stafford was terrified - big, strong boy, muscles in his ears for god's sake - he would just become a quivering wreck at the first sound of fireworks. We had to put him on tranquilisers for about a month every year!
Dempsey couldn't care less. If there's a particularly loud one thatmakes him jump he'll bark at it (yeah, like he can actually GET to it! Idiot!) but that's it. But then, there's virtually nothing phases him at all, I've never known such a fearless, bold dog.

Back to top Go down

Post by HazelJ Sun Oct 03 2010, 01:41

This is a tough one as my first staffy Nitro used to shake like a leaf i used to have to take him into my room and cover him up with the blankets and stay with him until it was over yet my new guy Harley is fine with them. He only barks if my other dog Mia barks at them.
HazelJ
HazelJ
"Top Rank" Staffy-bull-terrier Member
How does your dog react to fireworks? Top_ra10

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Harley, Mia
Dog Gender(s) : Male, Female
Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

Post by Hollie C Sat Oct 23 2010, 21:41

My youngest and oldest staffords (oldest cant hear them!) dont react although my 5 year old stafford hides around the house.
Hollie C
Hollie C
Mega Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Al
Dog Gender(s) : Dog

Back to top Go down

Post by youngkaiser Mon Oct 25 2010, 21:08

Kaiser hates them some went off yesterday and he panics hides under the bed shaking and will not come out for ages its horrible to see seriously thinking about getting something off the vet to calm him down
youngkaiser
youngkaiser

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Kaiser
Dog Gender(s) : male
Support total : 22

Back to top Go down

Post by Hollie C Tue Oct 26 2010, 22:53

We went up to our vet before to get tablets to calm my older dog down when she could hear them. The tablets they gave her made her walk backwards and she would snap at us if we went near her so now we just turn the tvs up for the other dogs or put them in cages if the fireworks are bad.
Hollie C
Hollie C

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Oct 26 2010, 22:56

We used to get tablets for Bandit. He was a wreck when fireworks went off, we used to think he'd have a heart attack, poor thing. The only nasty side effect was that he would get the runs & not make it to the garden. Used to feel so sorry for him & it's made me really hate fireworks.

Back to top Go down

Post by youngkaiser Tue Oct 26 2010, 22:59

I hate fireworks too people have been letting them off tonight and ive been going mad they should be banned
youngkaiser
youngkaiser

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Kaiser
Support total : 22

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Oct 26 2010, 23:02

And have you seen the prices? It's like setting fire to a handful of £20 notes!

Back to top Go down

Post by Hollie C Tue Oct 26 2010, 23:05

There havnt been too many gone off tonight thankfully it was mostly at the weekend when they were going off alot.
Hollie C
Hollie C

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Oct 26 2010, 23:19

Hollie C wrote:There havnt been too many gone off tonight thankfully it was mostly at the weekend when they were going off alot.
yeah wait till next sunday they'll be plenty going off, and then again on the 5th of nov, double whammy for you Laughing

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Oct 26 2010, 23:25

5th November's my wedding anniversary, but I wish they wouldn't celebrate it with all those fireworks, I don't know how the whole country got to know about it!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Oct 26 2010, 23:34

Caryll wrote:5th November's my wedding anniversary, but I wish they wouldn't celebrate it with all those fireworks, I don't know how the whole country got to know about it!
ask guy fawkes rolling on the floor

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Oct 26 2010, 23:47

shane wrote:
Caryll wrote:5th November's my wedding anniversary, but I wish they wouldn't celebrate it with all those fireworks, I don't know how the whole country got to know about it!
ask guy fawkes rolling on the floor

So this guy fawkes is the one that's spread my personal details all round the country? Wait till I catch up with him............

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Oct 26 2010, 23:52

did you get married on that day to save on the night time entertainment lol rolling on the floor

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Oct 26 2010, 23:55

No, it was so my oh could put his new mother-in-law on a bonfire & no one would notice!!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Oct 27 2010, 00:00

Caryll wrote:No, it was so my oh could put his new mother-in-law on a bonfire & no one would notice!!
rolling on the floor very good

Back to top Go down

Post by HazelJ Wed Oct 27 2010, 01:06

I've heard that u can get cds etc with sounds of fireworks and storms etc that u play to get the dogs used to the noise of them, and each time u play it louder. A Dog Behaviour expert(and vet) had them availale out here, i don't know if there is anything like that there.

This is the site for the vet i mentioned above http://www.pethealth.com.au/Page/noise-fears-pet-behaviour
HazelJ
HazelJ

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Harley, Mia
Dog Gender(s) : Male, Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Hollie C Wed Oct 27 2010, 23:31

Havnt heard of that before sounds like a good plan though!
Hollie C
Hollie C

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Oct 28 2010, 00:25

ye iv been looking into it and the best one is suppost to be called click and you can get it for around 10 pounds on ebay

Back to top Go down

Post by Hollie C Thu Oct 28 2010, 00:28

oh Thats a good price too its worth a try Smile thank you Big Grin
Hollie C
Hollie C

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Ruby01 Thu Nov 03 2011, 19:16

Ruby is terrified. She shakes like a life, cowers and looks for somewhere to hide. Even if i cuddle her and hide her under her blankie it's not enough, seems like she is trying to find a better place to hide. Wont even go for her walk day or night x
Ruby01
Ruby01
New Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Ruby
Dog Gender(s) : Bitch

Back to top Go down

Post by staffygalkezXX Thu Nov 10 2011, 20:57

last year he was fine, this year he has reactd badley to them. panting, shaking, hiding- nothin wud calm him down. so i kept tvs on loud, closed windows n cutains and played ball wiv him. not nice seein him stressd like that Sad
staffygalkezXX
staffygalkezXX

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : blayde
Support total : 1

Back to top Go down

Post by Joey Mon Feb 27 2012, 16:36

i put shakes because there wasnt a 'completely freaks out' option lol Laughing
if shes left alone chloe goes berserk if she hears them, scrabbling at walls, doors, chews windows, screams, climbs on the work tops, and ends up losing control of her bowels.
When we are with her and if its bad we crate her and medicate her, but she still pants a lot and shakes. thinking of investing in a thundershirt for her this year as an alternative to medication.
If we are out and shes hears one, her tail goes between her legs and she wimpers a bit, but i dont take her out when its firework season, as its too stressful for her.
Joey
Joey
Super Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Super Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : J.D, Rosie, Lottie and Chloe
Dog(s) Ages : 7, 4 ,4, 2
Dog Gender(s) : male, female, female, female
Support total : 20

Back to top Go down

Post by steve76 Mon Feb 27 2012, 17:32

marley has only had one fireworks night but he was fine even on new years he he just sat staring out the window watching them
steve76
steve76

Status Status :

Male
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Marley
Dog(s) Ages : 2
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 239

Back to top Go down

Post by kate32 Wed Mar 07 2012, 22:28

my old boy never used to bat an eye lid, but the first girl i had would try and get in cupboards and would run off if she heard a bang when out walking, i had to run after her a few times. my latest girl shakes and pants, she doesnt like bird scarers or gun shots either although she is getting better and will now come to me for a cuddle if she hears one then go off for a sniff again.

theres a cd of fireworks you can buy and then u play it at home so they can only just hear it at first, associating it with their favourite things, then you build it up getting louder as they get used to it. thought i might give it a try later on in the year.
kate32
kate32

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : maisy n scooby
Dog(s) Ages : 2 n 3
Dog Gender(s) : female n male
Support total : 19

Back to top Go down

Post by shakespearesdog Thu Mar 08 2012, 11:05

Theres no option for 'watches them' Romeo loves to watch fireworks Big Grin

shakespearesdog
Banned
Banned

Status Status :

Female
Dog(s) Ages :
Support total : 55

Back to top Go down

Post by Loz&Dan Fri Mar 09 2012, 13:43

Jasper and faith aren't bothered by them at all but Rox hides under the bed and shakes she won't come out for hours even if they're finished!
Loz&Dan
Loz&Dan
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Donator
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Donator

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Jasper Faith Roxy
Dog Gender(s) : 2 Female 1 Male
Support total : 19

Back to top Go down

Post by lukeey Tue Mar 13 2012, 01:27

when a firework goes off Taz goes into a stance, and it looks like hes ready to fight, protect him self or me.
lukeey
lukeey

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Taz
Dog(s) Ages : 2yrs
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 5

Back to top Go down

Post by Keith Sun May 20 2012, 13:57

steve76 wrote:marley has only had one fireworks night but he was fine even on new years he he just sat staring out the window watching them

Same here, mine isn't bothered - will briefly look out of the window, then jump back on the sofa to watch tv.
Keith
Keith

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Wingo and Captain Weemo
Dog(s) Ages : Probably about four and, er, ten maybe?
Dog Gender(s) : one of each
Support total : 181

Back to top Go down

Post by Kathy Sun May 20 2012, 14:02

Last year went absolutely bonkers with barking at them. This year will get something from the vets a few weeks beforehand to calm him.
Kathy
Kathy

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Rocky
Dog(s) Ages : 5 Years Old
Dog Gender(s) : Male & a bit of a tart
Support total : 4006

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun May 20 2012, 14:36

voted shakes , but she's not bad as long as she isn't outside when one goes, try and keep the Telly loud to cover them up but always a little whince when she does hear one , recovers well though

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun May 27 2012, 00:02

Hooch dosnt react.

Stan shakes.whimpers etc.

Tara runs and hides under the bed.

Back to top Go down

Post by willowthewisp Sat Jun 16 2012, 21:37

we were going to go to a display last nov 5th but willow was so scared i sat with her wrapped in a blanket with the telly turned up all evening i couldnt leave her and my son understood and cuddled willow too!
willowthewisp
willowthewisp

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : In a relationship
Dogs Name(s) : willow and chester
Dog(s) Ages : willow 3 years chester 2
Dog Gender(s) : willow female chester male
Support total : 32

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jun 17 2012, 01:25

I really don't know she has never heard a firework before

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jun 21 2012, 17:20

Lexi is very non-chalant about life in general

Back to top Go down

Post by andypurp Sat Mar 23 2013, 07:46

My dog harley hates fireworks. Same as most dogs here. Tail goes between legs he shakes like mad pants so bad and fast u wud thibk hes hyperventilating. He always runs upstairs and hides in the wardrobe or in the bed sometimes undet it somewhere he feels safe. We decided to scour the web for solutions to calm him down and came across a plug in system which lets off a scent only they can smell which attracts the dogs to it and eventually calms them down. We paid around £15 for this from ebay but in certain pet shops it was a lot more expensive. Upto now its helpped harley chill out.
andypurp
andypurp

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : harley
Dog(s) Ages : 2-1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by CaraElizabeth Thu Jul 04 2013, 15:51

My friends family took there 2 year old golden retriever (perfectly healthy) to the fireworks..he had a heart attack and died right there. So ever since that happened I have never taken my dog to or around fireworks because it really scared me.
CaraElizabeth
CaraElizabeth

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Gwen
Dog(s) Ages : 12/22/2012
Dog Gender(s) : female
Support total : 145

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jul 04 2013, 18:13

My pooch hasnt experienced them yet nail biting 

Back to top Go down

Post by Mia05 Wed Oct 08 2014, 16:41

Unless its the really loud grenade one mia isnt fazed

Staffy-Bull-Terrier Online Community
Meet the forum staff - Who's Who
Please read the forum rules - Click Here.

How does your dog react to fireworks? B310
Mia05
Mia05
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Moderator
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Moderator

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Single
Dogs Name(s) : Mia
Dog(s) Ages : 2005-2016 rip mia
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 1317

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down