Does changing food change a dogs behaviour

+2
Rachel33
Rhona
6 posters

Go down

Does changing food change a dogs behaviour Empty Does changing food change a dogs behaviour

Post by Rhona Sun Apr 05 2015, 14:55

We have had our Staffy for four months; he is about 5. When he came to us he was on Nature Diet but the vet recommended we get him onto dry food. We have tried the local pet shop food + James Wellbeloved, but after a few days he's not interested. My husband bought Pedigree Vital which the dog loves, but I think it has made him a bit hyperactive. He is pulling more on his lead and today he ran off, completely ignored us and almost got into a fight with another dog. He had settled really well and I wonder if it's to do with the change of diet?

Rhona
Rhona
Super Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Super Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Tyler
Dog(s) Ages : 5
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 3

Back to top Go down

Does changing food change a dogs behaviour Empty Re: Does changing food change a dogs behaviour

Post by Rachel33 Sun Apr 05 2015, 20:02

Yes!!! 100%. Think about how E numbers/additives effect children's behaviour? Same thing. Pedigree is awful food, nature diet is brilliant! I would get him back on it. Vets usually suggest what they can sell food wise!!!!
Rachel33
Rachel33
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Admin

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : In a relationship
Dogs Name(s) : Bug (Biscuit)
Dog(s) Ages : 7 ish
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 1012

Back to top Go down

Does changing food change a dogs behaviour Empty Re: Does changing food change a dogs behaviour

Post by Bane Tue Apr 07 2015, 21:32

Agree with Rach! All dogs do differently on different foods, you just have to find one that is right! From what i have heard though, Natures Diet is great so if he was fine on that stick to that Smile

We were advised by our vets to change to the food they sold and when we switched to Raw, man they weren't happy! I wonder why...
Bane
Bane
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : In a relationship
Dogs Name(s) : Bane
Dog(s) Ages : 13th August 2013
Support total : 332

Back to top Go down

Post by Goblin Tue Apr 07 2015, 21:48

Gizmo kept refusing food after a few days, so I kept changing. Vet told me that he was basically just refusing food to see what else was going to be on offer. We left out a bowl, refused to give him anything else and by the evening he was eating dry food no problem.

Ran out once and gave him Bakers as couldn't find anything else. It did not end well.
Goblin
Goblin

Status Status :

Dogs Name(s) : Gizmo
Dog(s) Ages : 01/05/2014
Dog Gender(s) : boy
Support total : 82

Back to top Go down

Post by Inez Maria Tue Apr 07 2015, 23:03

Rach is correct, get himback on nature diet Smile

Staffy-Bull-Terrier Online Community
Meet the forum staff - Who's Who
Please read the forum rules - Click Here.

Does changing food change a dogs behaviour B110
Inez Maria
Inez Maria

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Vinnie
Dog(s) Ages : 11/08/2011
Support total : 2596

Back to top Go down

Post by goldie87 Thu May 07 2015, 12:59

We've all been there many times before, but the bottom line is, I wouldn't listen to the vets when it comes to food/diet. They have very little training on it, and the training they do have is mainly provided and funded by dog food manufacturers (the likes of Hill Science Plan, which is why you'll always see their food in most vet surgeries).

Zeus has been on raw for over a year now and every vet I've been to is against it. He had Colitis and severe flair ups when he was on dry food, since he's been on raw, not a single sign of a flair up.

Zeus was also very picky when it came to eating dry food, he'd never be happy to eat it and would pick his nose up most of the time. When he did eat it, he'd be very hyperactive compared with how he is on raw (as Rach suggested, E-numbers, sugar, etc).

I'd stick with what's been said above, Nature Diet is a very good food and I'd definitely stick with that. Pedigree Chum is almost like giving your dog McDonald's every day of the week, stay well away from it!
goldie87
goldie87

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Zeus
Dog(s) Ages : 12
Support total : 164

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down