How to keep the peace in a multiple dog household?

2 posters

Go down

How to keep the peace in a multiple dog household?  Empty How to keep the peace in a multiple dog household?

Post by Cecil15 Mon Sep 21 2015, 15:37

Cecil is growing fast  Crying or Very sad He weighs 31lbs and is only 4lbs lighter than my 5 year old son haha
Every Saturday I take Cecil to puppy school. There is this adorable boxer female which he adores and they both get along just great. When they play, Cecil usually just lets her jump all over him but last time I noticed he kept grabbing her neck skin or lip and would not let go! The boxer did not seem to mind it at all but I felt a little uncomfortable so we decided to end playtime. He did the same thing at home with Henry and Duke. After Henry yelped he wouldn’t let go right away.

This brings me to my next little problem..Henry. Henry is my 4 year old labradoodle and he usually is sweet as can be. I think he still feels a little upset about having Cecil. They both do play together a lot and Henry does lets him pull his ears and tail without getting upset. But my problem I am having with Henry and Cecil is at feeding time. Everyone has their own bowls and their own little area. Henry would never eat or drinks out of anybody’s bowl accept his own.

Cecil for some odd reason does not like his bowl. He always tries to eat out of Dukes or Henrys. Duke will let him but not Henry. Henry got all stiff this morning and I did not like his body language. He started to have a very low growl and Cecil was wagging his tail and licking his mouth while he was growling!
I told Cecil to “leave it” and told Henry to sit and took his bowl away till I was able to convince Cecil to eat out of his bowl again. Cecil does not seem to get the memo from Henry to leave his bowl alone while he is eating. Should I just let them handle it or do I need to feed them separately?  
I never had this problem with Henry or Duke.
Cecil15
Cecil15
Loyal Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Loyal Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Cecil
Dog(s) Ages : 11 Weeks
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 9

Back to top Go down

How to keep the peace in a multiple dog household?  Empty Re: How to keep the peace in a multiple dog household?

Post by Guest Mon Sep 21 2015, 15:51

Have you tried putting Cecil on the lead? That way you can stop him going to anyone's bowl but his own. It's always worked for me.

Back to top Go down

How to keep the peace in a multiple dog household?  Empty Re: How to keep the peace in a multiple dog household?

Post by lexii Mon Sep 21 2015, 19:53

Yes I agree put him on a lead or in a separate room. Most fights are caused by food, toys or beds.
lexii
lexii
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Single
Dogs Name(s) : No dogs now :(
Support total : 69

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down