New puppy

4 posters

Go down

New puppy Empty New puppy

Post by Chrissywhite85 Sun Nov 01 2015, 20:19

Hi guys my name is Chris I am new to the forum.

I have joined his forum to hopefully gather and find all the information from you guys about me and my wife buying a puppy staffy. Any recommendations on where to look what to look out for etc. We do not want to just go and buy the 1st pup we see and we do not want to buy any old pup, we may sound very picky but we want full KC Registered mum and and dad if possible and the pups to be really chunky and solid, we are looking for blue or lilac blue puppy.

We have a 2 and a half year old daughter aswell so it would be awesome for her and the pup to grow up together over the years ahead. Please can anyone give us some advise or if anybody knows who is breeding at the moment or if there is websites dedicated to that??? It will be January when we look to buy may be sooner but we want to do our research properly.

Hope to speak to some of you soon

Kind regards

Chris and Dan

Chrissywhite85
New Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

New puppy Empty Re: New puppy

Post by -Ian- Sun Nov 01 2015, 20:40

Hi ya Chris, welcome to the Forum Big Grin

Champdogs.co.uk is a good place to start.

When looking for a Blue pup ensure that you meet mum and dad. Two blues breeding is really a no no as it can lead to some health issues, in particular alopecia.

You should also check out the home too, if it doesn't feel right walk away, better to be safe. Don't be fobbed off with its an Irish/long legged or any other fancy name, a Staffy is a Staffy unless it's a cross.

Here's a link to more info about an inherited condition that should also be tested for by the breeders http://www.l2hga.com/signs-and-treatment/4581043861

Staffy-Bull-Terrier Online Community
Meet the forum staff - Who's Who
Please read the forum rules - Click Here.

New puppy B110
-Ian-
-Ian-
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Admin

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Anything, she's Deaf !
Dog(s) Ages : RIP Flo
Dog Gender(s) : Girl
Support total : 2862

Back to top Go down

Post by Chrissywhite85 Sun Nov 01 2015, 21:11

Hi thank you for that info I will have a look at the website and the link, so the parents both blue the female and the male are is a no no as in don't buy there puppies?? We have seen a few puppies already with both mum and dad are blue from both champion blood lines? Stay clear of these???

Chrissywhite85

Status Status :

Back to top Go down

Post by -Ian- Sun Nov 01 2015, 21:20

Personally I would steer clear. It doesn't follow that a blue from 2 blues will always have problems but it's just a risk that I wouldn't take.

Staffy-Bull-Terrier Online Community
Meet the forum staff - Who's Who
Please read the forum rules - Click Here.

New puppy B110
-Ian-
-Ian-

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Anything, she's Deaf !
Dog(s) Ages : RIP Flo
Dog Gender(s) : Girl
Support total : 2862

Back to top Go down

Post by Rachel33 Sun Nov 01 2015, 22:05

Glad to see that you're doing your research, so many come onto the forum with blues after buying blind!

Is there any reason why you want a blue specifically? As Ian mentioned - breeding blue on blue can be problematic and lead to various skin problems. CDA is very hard to treat. Because blues are popular they're now very common, meaning that LOTS of people are breeding them, resulting in poor examples of the breed. Seeing a gorgeous, well bred, black or red nowadays is more of a rarity! You could put your name down on a few lists if you find a breeder that you like, but sensible blue breeders that genuinely care about the breed won't be able to guarantee a blue pup from a litter - they may breed blue on black, or blue on brindle and tend to sell all of the pups at the same price; not hike the price up for the sake of a colour!

I work in rescue, so don't follow many breeders, but champ dogs is a good place to start. Just don't rush into a pup, especially not a dilute. My girl is fawn, I don't know anything about her parents as she was a stray, but she has always struggled with skin issues and was really uncomfortable until we figure out how to help her.
Rachel33
Rachel33

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : In a relationship
Dogs Name(s) : Bug (Biscuit)
Dog(s) Ages : 7 ish
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 1012

Back to top Go down

Post by Chrissywhite85 Mon Nov 02 2015, 11:39

guys this is really use full info for us both, so i am guessing to stay away form blue on blue breeding then. We are in communcation at the minute with a breeder with blue on blue puppies there £700 per pup 2 males left the rest have been sold not due to leave in 3/4 weeks. the pups look solid and healthy but not so sure now.

the reason we want a blue one is just by choice would love a red/brown one or black one we are not to fussed but we do not see many blue arounf our area where we love more of your usual brindle or black or white so just want to be different. however as i said we want a full KC registered one and the mum and dad to be. I have seen a few ads that we have looked at that have a blue mum but brindle or black dad or vice versa and the pups are a mix of red/brown, blue, black or brindle, which i thought was weird but it now makes sense

do you have to register to be notified of breeders list for puppies on champ dogs?

Chrissywhite85

Status Status :

Back to top Go down

Post by Rachel_B Mon Nov 02 2015, 12:21

I got Betty after several months trawling through champdogs. You can register to get email notification when new litters are advertised.

As others have already said, I would steer clear of blue/ blue breedings. It is pretty well known amongst good breeders that this is a no-no due to health issues.

I have seen several blue pups advertised at £700+. This is over the going rate for a pedigree SBT (usually £600-650) is nearer the mark.

Also worth working out the co-efficient of inbreeding (you can do this on the KC website if you know the dam and sire's pedigree names)

This gives you an idea of whether there have been any close matings in the line.

Also look to make sure that dam and sire are both negative for L2 HGA and HC HSF4 which are two nasty hereditary conditions that seriously affect a dog's well being.

Good luck!
Rachel_B
Rachel_B
Super Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Super Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Betty
Dog(s) Ages : 26-6-15
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 3

Back to top Go down

Post by Chrissywhite85 Mon Nov 02 2015, 14:12

guys thank you for all the info so far you have just saved us from potentially buying a blue/blue puppy that we have been dbating for a few weeks. so thank you for that it could of ended bad for us

i am now in contact with some one on champdogs, and i must say their 2 champion dogs are beautiful

Chrissywhite85

Status Status :

Back to top Go down

Post by Rachel33 Tue Nov 03 2015, 18:28

No worries! It's what we are here for Smile

Ohh, do you have a link?
Rachel33
Rachel33