+5
MattsBabe7
Goblin
b_phippsy
Mia05
Sealpig
9 posters

Go down

Extendable Leads, thoughts? Empty Extendable Leads, thoughts?

Post by Sealpig Mon Aug 01 2016, 12:54

I was in Lidl yesterday doing food shopping and saw they had a retractable lead for dogs weighing up to 35kg.
I have never considered getting one for Rio as i've read horror stories of them breaking/ pinging back and i worry about the amount of control i could actually have of it and Rio.

But this was only £6 and i thought why not, give it a go and see how we get on.

Well, it took a bit of getting used to, but we both got on so well with it. We went to the dog park where we go around the outside and to the field at the back, he was so relaxed on it and i was as well knowing he had the freedom to go 8m away but i still had a hold of him. He walked as if not on a lead and his recall was lovely.

It hasn't been dog/ cat tested yet, we passed a dog yesterday but he didn't care about that one.

My one concern is if it's not locked and he sees something and runs for it near a road, so I'm always having it locked and a short lead near roads, or if we're in a open area and he happens to see a dog he doesn't like and runs towards it. I carry his normal lead with me just in case.

What's everyone's thoughts/ experiences with them?
Sealpig
Sealpig
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Support Member
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Support Member

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Prefer to not say
Dogs Name(s) : Rio
Dog(s) Ages : 7.5 yrs
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 83

Back to top Go down

Extendable Leads, thoughts? Empty Re: Extendable Leads, thoughts?

Post by Guest Mon Aug 01 2016, 15:07

I don't like them for a few reasons. The main one is that (I personally think) they are not very easy to control. Because you are relying on the retraction working the second you hit the button, you can be floored if it doesn't. Sometimes they can be very slow to retract, which isn't what you want in one of 'those' situations!

The thin cord ones can be dangerous. With no weight to the line they waft about. I had a horrid situation where another dog's thin line got stuck round Millie's neck. The other dog was pulling one way, the idiot owner was fumbling and pulling the other way, and Millie was starting to get strangled and because the cord was thin it was cutting into her neck.

I much prefer a long line. The difference for me is that you have a decent weight line that you learn how to use yourself. Your reliance is on you, not on the retraction mechanism. I have these:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/262225706542?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&var=560980220455&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Mine are 5m long which I find is plenty. Width depends on preference, I like the thinner one, my husband likes the thicker one. And only £8 inc p&p.

Back to top Go down

Post by Mia05 Mon Aug 01 2016, 19:45

no a fan of retractable leads either you dnt have as much control with the handle and no good in an emergency situation as liz says the long lines much better with the long line as will be winter the one with the reflecter is a good idea too Smile

Staffy-Bull-Terrier Online Community
Meet the forum staff - Who's Who
Please read the forum rules - Click Here.

Extendable Leads, thoughts? B310
Mia05
Mia05
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Moderator
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Moderator

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Single
Dogs Name(s) : Mia
Dog(s) Ages : 2005-2016 rip mia
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 1317

Back to top Go down

Post by b_phippsy Mon Aug 01 2016, 22:01

We like using a flexi lead we have a giant flexi which is strong and sturdy. We use a long line down the feilds and flexi on the cycle path, we taught harley to sit when we see a dog so i can catch up so we can have full control. Also when approaching a corner were always mindfull and pull him in then let him go when we can see. It also lets him have freedom as its 12 metres.
b_phippsy
b_phippsy
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Harley
Dog(s) Ages : 3 Years old
Support total : 78

Back to top Go down

Post by Goblin Tue Aug 02 2016, 12:04

To me, they are for very specific situations and places - i.e. parks/fields with minimal dogs/cats/squirrels when you are working on recall.

I think you are leaving yourself open for accidents if you use it on pavements. Have another lead as backup and switch to it on roads.

The stringy ones are a complete menace - my grandma used a wide extendable lead for her dog-aggressive corgi/beagle cross in parks.
Goblin
Goblin

Status Status :

Dogs Name(s) : Gizmo
Dog(s) Ages : 01/05/2014
Dog Gender(s) : boy
Support total : 82

Back to top Go down

Post by MattsBabe7 Wed Sep 27 2017, 09:14

I know this is an old post but ...

A neighbour got us a retractable lead suitable for up to 60kg for £1 at a boot sale.

I've used it once at the beach where he couldn't get caught in anything just to test it out and took it with us at the weekend to the in-laws.

I clip it to the very back clip of his harness (halfway down his back)
He is very good on the retractable, doesn't go to the end at all (5 metres) and just wants to walk up ahead beside the children!

He met other dogs and people while using it and it wasn't a problem and down the country lanes it was kept short so he was walking beside me.

I used it at the in-laws cos he couldn't go off the lead for zoomies as there were farm animals in every field so gave him his freedom a little bit.

I definitely won't be using it everyday. It's really a lead for certain places!
Oh and I recommend taking a normal lead with you when using it too just in case it does snap for some reason!
MattsBabe7
MattsBabe7
Mega Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Engaged
Dogs Name(s) : Chase
Dog(s) Ages : Almost 1! Born on Xmas eve!
Support total : 11

Back to top Go down

Post by dizzy Thu Sep 28 2017, 12:18

I'm not keen on the flexi leads either, but I think they can be useful in a park/field situation if you're not too sure if it's safe to let them off. I would never trust one near roads or strange dogs. I like the halti training lead as you can change the length, but still be in control.
dizzy
dizzy

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Dodger
Dog(s) Ages : 3 years
Dog Gender(s) : male
Support total : 41

Back to top Go down

Post by gillybrent Fri Sep 29 2017, 10:47

i have two problems with extendables. one is that if the lead is at its fullest, you have no control over your dog whatsoever! and two, with ordinary leads you can grab the lead itself, but with extendables you can't without seriously damaging your hands!

gillybrent

Status Status :

Female
Support total : 456

Back to top Go down

Post by TychoMum Tue Jun 19 2018, 16:03

We have both, extendeable and non extendeable leashes. I think it is better to spend a bit more in a good quality one. The mechanisms are not the same, get one that is ergonomic grip, that does not tangle, and that does not slip. One that has the locking button so you can trust the lock is on when you need to have a closer control.
The majority of dog leashes have a maximum weight limit of 110 pounds.

TychoMum
TychoMum
Regular Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Regular Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : In a civil partnership
Dogs Name(s) : Tycho
Dog(s) Ages : 3 years old
Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

Post by lexii Fri Jun 22 2018, 23:22

I have nothing against them if the dog/owner is well prepared and trained to them. A dog that lunges is nevr going to be good on it.. We used them in kennels, cause it gave the dogs more freedom in the walking field, better exercise than just a short leash but the more boistrous ones had just a normal lead. I always used one for lexi when i went to the beach etc until it was stolen ( have my suspects!!) cause she was never a runner/lunger but i never wanted her to go too far away cause she was DA if approached. At those locations i could see well in advance. I prefer the tape ones to the rope ones, they cant be chewed through as fast and dont cut into skin as much as the rope ones as my friend found out one time when her dog ran circles around her and cut her to shreds! The long training leads are great too as long as you follow the rules and get used to them which i am lunging horses. i.e. never wrap it around your hand/neck/arm anything Tongues !
lexii
lexii

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Single
Dogs Name(s) : No dogs now :(
Support total : 69

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down