Staffy in the yard: frustrations...

2 posters

Go down

Staffy in the yard: frustrations... Empty Staffy in the yard: frustrations...

Post by panini_84 Sun Apr 18 2021, 20:00

Hi all,

I'm having 'an issue' with my dog, which I would like to hear some opinions about. Is it really an issue, or is it not?
Why? Because it's my first dog and I am still learning every day, just like her.

Ok, some background info: After years of researching for the right dog, and having a baby girl (who is turning 4 this year), we decided to get a Staffordshire Bull terrier. A proper dog who looks good, with good human/kids skills, who has energy (to run with me when she is an adult) and is not too big (like an American Stafford).
After a waiting period we finally got our puppy last September. She is now exactly 7 months old.
She is a very excited dog, very eager to meet people and dogs (shows signs of submission to other dog frequently by lying on her back), goes to school to train her (and performs pretty good). Inside our house she listens very good, to me and my girlfriend and also my 3 year old daughter. On walks she behaves quite good: little pulling when alone, excitement pulling when crossing dogs or engaging people. We walk her 3 times a day for about 20-30 min each. Since we had her in September, she spent most of the time in our yard alone (to pee and poop) or to play with me or the girlfriend, because it was to cold for us to just hang out in the backyard. Now here comes the issue...

The actual 'issue': Since the weather is getting better, we spend more time outside, and my dog seems to find it hard to accept it that we just 'sit there'. She was always used to being played with when outside.
So now when we sit around, or when my daughter plays around (and we ignore the dog), she comes and nips our feet and stands before us, tail up and starts barking, like really loud. It's not that there is alot of teeth showing involved but it feels really intimidating. As soon as I start playing with her, with a ball or rope, the barking and nipping stops. Which makes me think it's a cry for attention?

Is this a phase? Or will I need to address this asap? I've tried a firm 'NO', I've tried a gentle correction, I've tried a strong correction. It doesn't help, she is also too quick now to even correct the behavior. I've tried ignoring her, little help. Giving her a time out in the bench clears the situation, but it keeps on happening afterwards. Turning my back on her and walking away, helps sometimes.

I just don't want to engage in play with her when she does it, because I would be rewarding her, right?

Any insights from experienced owners would be appreciated! Summer is coming up, and I'd like to be able to sit outside with my family or friends.

panini_84
New Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

Staffy in the yard: frustrations... Empty Re: Staffy in the yard: frustrations...

Post by Nifty staffy Sun Apr 18 2021, 20:50

Hello,
So you finally got your staffy, congratulations Big Grin

My initial thoughts are exactly as you say, attention seeking and having been “conditioned” that garden = play with humans
She does sound like one that is very fusional with her human family so maybe not so happy to occupy herself alone *

* self occupation is not always a good thing, like when she decides to do staffy gardening, for example Laughing

But maybe a way to keep her a bit more independent in the garden is to hide kibble dotted around the garden that she has to search for, or to give her a stuffed kong when you all go out. She needs something to do without you. Jolly eggs and boomer balls are great for those who like to push and chase their own big ball.

When she confronts you, definitely turn around and go back inside the house. She will understand that this behaviour cuts all play possibility. But when she comes in and calms down, you must initiate the game and garden time as a reward on your condition, not hers.

Staffy-Bull-Terrier Online Community
Meet the forum staff - Who's Who
Please read the forum rules - Click Here.

Staffy in the yard: frustrations... B110
Nifty staffy
Nifty staffy
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Admin

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Nifty + Opium Black + Tigress
Dog(s) Ages : 15/04/2017 + 25/09/2018 + 02/05/2022
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 310

Back to top Go down

Staffy in the yard: frustrations... Empty Re: Staffy in the yard: frustrations...

Post by panini_84 Mon Apr 19 2021, 09:31

Thanks for your feedback! We will see how it evolves.
Already ordered a Jolly egg Smile

panini_84

Status Status :

Back to top Go down

Post by Nifty staffy Mon Apr 19 2021, 21:51

Great thumbs up
I have 2 big jolly eggs, one smaller version and a boomer ball too. However these are strictly garden toys which do not come in the house, like house toys that do not go outside. Is also a way to reward that she goes out to play with a toy she can’t inside.

Staffy-Bull-Terrier Online Community
Meet the forum staff - Who's Who
Please read the forum rules - Click Here.

Staffy in the yard: frustrations... B110
Nifty staffy
Nifty staffy

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Nifty + Opium Black + Tigress
Dog(s) Ages : 15/04/2017 + 25/09/2018 + 02/05/2022
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 310

Back to top Go down

Post by panini_84 Tue Nov 16 2021, 19:25

Hi there, it's me again Smile

Despite the good advice about how to handle the confrontations and the use of jolly eggs (she completely ignored it!), the misbehaviour continued.
In the end we decided to consult a behaviorist, because summer was coming up and we wanted to be able to invite people over in the garden.

After some general rules he explained us, which we mostly already had in place, he told us to put her in a seperate room for at least 20 minutes when the behaviour in the garden occured and she didn't stop after a firm 'NO' from me. It could not be her crate, or a place with distractions, so it became the toilet Big Grin

Surprise surprise, after 1 time-out in the toilet it stopped. We had to do it 2 or 3 times again over the next 6 months, but that's it.
We've been able to invite people over in the garden for barbeques, even toddlers, crawling in the garden, everything went perfect.

On to my next challenge, leash pulling which is getting worse and frustrating me... but first i'll try to find some info on the forum about it.

panini_84

Status Status :

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down