Experienced advice?

3 posters

Go down

Experienced advice? Empty Experienced advice?

Post by LittleBomber Thu Apr 07 2022, 14:11

Hello

New here, hope this is in the right place! We have had our girl for a year, she's 14 months and doing brilliantly (apart from pulling like a train but that's another post!) She's walked daily every morning for an hour or more, mostly with a lab/collie cross and a working cocker, off lead through woods and fields. They have a ball, we see lots of other dogs and she will ignore, or sniff and I keep her moving. A second walk in the afternoon combined with school run, mostly on lead. I can call her away from another dog and she will do a 180 turn back to me 99% of the time.

In the past couple of weeks, I've been jumped at by a couple of dogs, once by a lab (sniffing for treats) and once by a springer, presume same, no aggression and I'm not fearful of dogs. Both times she has been off lead, she has growled at them, and we have kept moving.

This morning we were doing some training in a quiet field and playing ball. A big cockapoo came bowling up and jumped up at me almost face height to grab her ball which was in my hand. I turned my back and moved off in the opposite direction and threw the ball away for my girl, the cockapoo intercepted it and ran off with it. The owner faffed about for about five minutes with her dog and eventually managed to get the ball back, she shouted 'catch!" at me and threw it. I caught it and her dog again ran and jumped up to try and get it off me. At this point quick as a flash, my girl flipped over the cockapoo, snarling and pinning her.

It was over as soon as it had begun, no damage done, it seemed to be all noise (the cockapoo was squealing) and we walked away. I just want to check what others might have done/might do in future? On the one hand the other dog was being a huge pain, taking her ball, jumping at me, and she was just saying PACK THAT IN. On the other hand I'm aware that communication from her is going to be viewed as aggression, which is of course not ideal.

Thanks
LittleBomber
LittleBomber
New Staffy-bull-terrier Member
New Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

Experienced advice? Empty Re: Experienced advice?

Post by Caryll2 Thu Apr 07 2022, 17:01

Hi & a warm welcome!

Firstly, your girl has done NOTHING wrong. She has seen a strange dog jump at her owner & she has 1) warned ' & 2) acted.

However, she has done no physical harm. And let's face it, if a Stafford wants to hurt it can & will!

I know that current views (mainly the media) suggest that a Stafford is dangerous. Although yes, they are, it is very rarely a deliberate aggression. Your girl is either protecting you or saving you for herself. Either way, the other owner is at fault for allowing their dog to approach with bad manners!

You may need to keep an eye out for undisciplined dogs/owners, but I doubt you have too much to worry about.

What's your girl's name?
Caryll2
Caryll2
"Top Rank" Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Experienced advice? Top_ra10

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Dempsey RIP & Badger RIP
Dog(s) Ages : RIP & RIP
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 113

Back to top Go down

Post by Jenc Fri Apr 08 2022, 07:51

Hi from me & Katy Smile
I totally 2nd what Caryll has said, your girl was not being aggressive but was putting the cockerpoo in it's place. She didn't hurt it, cockerpoo's are drama queens & squeal at anything!
Sounds like you have a well trained, balanced dog Smile
Would love to see pics of her Love Struck

Staffy-Bull-Terrier Online Community
Meet the forum staff - Who's Who
Please read the forum rules - Click Here.

Experienced advice? B110
Jenc
Jenc
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Admin
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Admin

Status Status :

Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Katy
Dog(s) Ages : 9/10/12
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 884

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down